CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF ARBITRATORS,(UK) INDIA BRANCH
are pleased to jointly announce…
CONTRACT, TORT & EVIDENCE
EXAMINATION (MODULE 1)
Course Date: 17th & 18th March 2018 (Saturday & Sunday) &
5th & 6th May 2018 (Saturday & Sunday)
Course Time: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Venue: MCIA, 20th Floor, Express Towers, Nariman Point, Mumbai 400021
Who can attend?
• Non-Lawyers: Module I is mandatory for non-lawyers who have Associate Grade Certification (ACIArb) and are aspiring to get Member Grade Certification (MCIArb).
• Lawyers: Lawyers are exempted from attending Module I but have to sit for Examination (provided they already have Associate Grade certification). This course is highly recommended even for lawyers.
Aim of the programme:
To provide an understanding of the law of obligations and civil evidence. This course is intended for individuals who may not have studied law previously and wish to gain an understanding of the elements of the law of obligations and civil evidence that affect matters in civil and commercial disputes. It is suitable for anyone with a general interest in dispute resolution and is essential for individuals who wish to go for MCIArb Accreditation and to become qualified arbitrators and arbitration professionals.
About Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK:
CIArb, UK is a leading professional membership organization representing the interests of alternative dispute resolution practitioners worldwide. It has completed its centenary in 2015 and has over 15,000 members across more than 133 countries. It has 38 branches besides Chapters all over the world. CIArb India is one of these Branches. The membership is not by subscription but only through qualification.
About Mumbai Centre for International Arbitration:
MCIA is a not profit Trust, registered under the provisions of the Indian trust Act, 1882. MCIA primary objective is to administer arbitration hearings along with conduct of training programmes on arbitration.
How the course will be delivered:
- Over various sessions during three days by CIArb approved and globally recognized tutors on Law of Contract, Law of Tort and Law of Evidence.
- The course is delivered with a combination of private study and tutorials.
- The Course date to be mentioned is start date of the course, 2nd March 2018 when the candidates will be required to start their private study of reading, not when they start tutorials.
- Candidates are required to attend all sessions mandatorily.
If the candidate wishes to register on a course where self study like in Module 1 is expected for the first few weeks after the start date then a candidate can register after the course start date BUT preferably before the first tutorials takes place. CIArb will not be held responsible for a candidate not having sufficient time for self-study.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment of this course into three parts:
• Contract – Assignment (10% of overall mark) + 2 ½ hour closed-book examination (40% of overall mark) to be held on 6th May 2018 at the MCIA.
• Tort – Assignment (5% of overall mark) + 1 ½ hour closed-book examination (25% of overall mark) to be held on 6th May 2018 at the MCIA.
• Evidence – Assignment (20% of overall mark)
The tutorials will be conducted on 17th & 18th March 2018 and another tutorial on 5th May 2018 followed by written examination on 6th May 2018.
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
On successful completion of this course, candidates will be able to:
- explain the sources of law and demonstrate how these are used in a common law jurisdiction;
- evaluate the nature and significance of the different types of obligations which can exist between parties;
- the potential overlap between contractual and tortious claims;
- evaluate and apply contractual and tortious remedies;
- explain the rules of evidence relating to civil or commercial litigation;
- critically analyse a problem using the law of contract, the law of tort and the rules of evidence;
What happens when I register for the course?
Upon successful registration, candidates will receive confirmation email that they are booked for the course. CIArb Workbook and other study materials for the course will be emailed to the registered candidates around ten days prior to the course.
What is my next step when I complete the course?
On successful completion of this course, candidates may progress to Module 2 – The Laws of Arbitration in International Commercial Arbitration.
Course Fee inclusive of 18% GST:
General Participants : Rs. 40,000/-
Young MCIA members : Rs. 36,000/-
Submit proof of Young MCIA membership to avail Young MCIA member discount.
The fee includes registration fee for the course, the first attempt at the assessment, study materials, and lunch and refreshments on all three days.
Registrations are non-refundable.
Step 1:Applicable fee to be paid via Bank Transfer (NEFT) to the following account:
Name of Account Holder: Chartered Institute of Arbitrators India
Name of Bank: YES Bank Ltd
Account No: 016394600000011
Type of A/c : Savings
IFS Code: YESB0000163
Bank Branch: JVPD, Juhu Vile Parle (W), Mumbai 400 049
Step 2:Email to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org confirming the amount, date and transaction reference number of the payment, together with full name, complete postal address, contact number, and occupation/profession of the candidate.
Last date of registration: 2nd March, 2018
(Due to limited seats, registration on first come first served basis)
For further details, please contact:
20th Floor Express Towers
Nariman Point, Mumbai
Maharashtra – 400021
Tel: +91 22 6105 8888