7th July 2018
Course Time: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Venue: MCIA, 20th Floor, Express Towers, Nariman Point, Mumbai
Aim of the programme:
To provide candidates with a detailed knowledge of the UNCITRAL Model Law and Arbitration Rules underpinning the process and procedure of international (i.e. non-domestic) arbitration to enable them to understand and participate in such proceedings. It is therefore valuable for anyone wishing to understand the law and practice of international arbitration generally, whether as a party, party representative or witness. It is also an essential step for anyone aiming for Fellowship and for those who aim to practice internationally as an arbitrator.
Learning Outcome of the Course:
On successful completion of this course candidates will be able to:
- Define what is meant by the term “international” arbitration
- Explain the principles and specific legal requirements of an international arbitration:
o The legal framework including limitations of matters that may legally be arbitrated;
o The contractual nature of the appointment of an arbitrator;
o The rights, duties and responsibilities of a party to an arbitration;
o The range and limitations of an arbitrator’s powers and jurisdiction;
o The methods of initiating and processing an arbitration;
o The relevance of the court regarding all stages in an arbitration;
o The requirements of an enforceable award;
- Evaluate and apply the principles and legal requirements of an international arbitration;
- Identify, explain and apply the legal procedural principles, rules and agreements relevant to the conduct of an international arbitration.
- Fundamental principles of the arbitration process;
- The UNCITRAL Model Law and Arbitration Rules;
- The arbitration agreement;
- Commencement of an arbitration and appointment of an arbitrator;
- Obligations of the tribunal, responsibilities and obligations of the parties;
- An arbitrator’s jurisdiction and powers;
- The arbitration process: meetings, timetable, submissions, experts, disclosure, hearings;
- The powers of the court;
- Interest and costs;
- Essentials of an enforceable award;
- Challenges, appeals and enforcement.
How is the course delivered?
The course is delivered with a combination of private study and face-to-face tutorials. The face-to face tutorial dates are listed on the Course Schedule.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment of this course is split into two parts:
- A written assignment to be submitted during the course (20%).
- A 3-hour closed book examination (80%).
Details of the assessment are as follows:
- The assignment. This assessment is not on a pass or fail basis. The mark achieved will contribute up to 20% of the final mark.
- The examination. This assessment is on a pass or fail basis. Candidates must achieve a minimum of 55%. Candidates who fail the examination will be required to re-sit the examination.
- The overall assessment is based upon the combined marks of the assignment and examination. Candidates must achieve a minimum overall mark of 55% to pass the course.
The examination is closed book; no materials are permitted in the examination room except for an unmarked copy of the UNCITRAL Model Law (incorporating the 2006 amendments) and Arbitration Rules (2010 revision). Highlighting and underlining is permitted. Results are dispatched to candidates normally eight to twelve weeks from the date of the submission of the assignment or examination.
The fee includes registration fee for the course, the first attempt at the assessment, study materials, and lunch and refreshments on all three days.
Cancellation Policy, Registration Process and For further details remain same as previous one.
Step 1:Applicable fee to be paid via Bank Transfer (NEFT) to the following account:
Name of Account Holder: Chartered Institute of Arbitrators India
Name of Bank: YES Bank Ltd
Account No: 016394600000011
Type of A/c : Savings
IFS Code: YESB0000163
Bank Branch: JVPD, Juhu Vile Parle (W), Mumbai 400 049
Step 2:Email to be sent to [email protected] confirming the amount, date and transaction reference number of the payment, together with full name, complete postal address, contact number, and occupation/profession of the candidate.
Last date of registration: 26th May, 2018
(Due to limited seats, registration on first come first served basis)
For further details, please contact:
20th Floor Express Towers
Nariman Point, Mumbai
Maharashtra – 400021
Tel: +91 22 6105 8888
E-mail: [email protected]